I updated my iPhone using the wrong firmware yesterday. When the new and correct 2.0 firmware came out for my first generation iPhone, I tried the obvious update/restore method and insanity ensued. After many different tries, here’s what I did:
1. Restored the “bad” firmware and performed a complete sync.
2. Closed and reopened iTunes.
3. Holding the shift key, I chose “Check for update” and it downloaded the correct 2.0 firmware again.
4. Continuing to hold the shift key, I told it to apply the update.
5. Long scary time passes.
6. Phone now on correct 2.0 firmware!
I’ll be in line tomorrow to get a new phone for me and hand this one over to Tammy.